February 14, 2022

Mentos & coke - in oil?

I'm skeptical as to the veracity of this video short.

The video purports to show the mentos and (diet) coke experiment but performed underneath a layer of oil.

I feel like that's far less reaction that I would expect to see from the reaction - even under a vegetable oil 'cap' layer.

So I went hunting and found a few more videos.

This one fits more with what I would expect to see - at least it does at about 0:50. The freshly opened 2L of Coke has Mentos dropped straight into it moments before the 2L is lowered into the oil. You can see a similarly - if slightly less violent - reaction at 2:50 when multiple Mentos are dropped into a full layer of Coke at the bottom of the aquarium. Both are more vigorous than the video up top.

Further searching lead me to this video and this video (Facebook, not embeddable) and this video...

All three show a little more prep work than the video up top. They each show the bottle of Coke being shaken before being poured into the oil.

So, problem #1 - if the Coke bottle has been shaken (something we don't see in the second video with a more vigorous reaction), then some of the CO2 gas has already been taken out of the Coke.

Problem #2, I think, is also shown in the second video with the slightly more vigorous reaction. If the Mentos are dropped through the oil layer, I would assume that they would pick up a thin coating of oil, interfering with the roughness of their surface, decreasing the number of nucleation sites available on which the CO2 bubbles can collect, grow, and then geyser out from the top of the Coke bottle.

So, is the oil layer 'holding' in the explosion? I don't have proof, but I do have some scientific reasoning, and I think it's more complicated than that.

I was really hoping that this video would help explain either of these ideas, but there's no explanation of the oil differences at all. Big disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment