December 14, 2017
See, it's funny because the phrase 'splitting the atom' often refers to nuclear fission, the literal splitting of the atomic nucleus, creating two daughter atoms from a single atom, typically converting a small amount of mass into a large amount of energy.
December 12, 2017
December 7, 2017
December 6, 2017
December 3, 2017
See, it's funny because volatility has two meanings...(quoting from Google's definitions)
- liability to change rapidly and unpredictably, especially for the worse
- As in, "the market is highly volatile right now. Eventually it will settle once all the news has been priced into the stocks."
- tendency of a substance to evaporate at normal temperatures
- As in, "organic chemistry deals with a number of volatile substances. That's why the labs have a distinct smell of solvents."
- Inorganic chemistry deals with far fewer highly-volatile solvents.
November 29, 2017
November 24, 2017
For a dopey parody of Ed Sheeran (entertaining story from Ed here) music, there is some deep, serious science happening all over this video.
Stuff like the hybridization, molecular orbitals, aromatics...this is stuff we don't touch in AP chemistry.
Nice music, though...