August 31, 2020

Can you light a match with water?



My first teaching job was at Terre Haute South Vigo High School in Terre Haute, Indiana.

At THS (we pretty much just called it Terre Haute South), one of the other science teachers gave me a coiled copper tube that looks pretty much like what's shown in the video and was used for exactly what it's used for in the video.

I think I set the demonstration up once...maybe twice ever...and had that copper tube in my storage drawers at three separate schools. I can't remember offhand whether I brought it over to the new building. I think I'll check, though.

But, that's not what the video is about. The video shows how water can be heated to vapor which can then be superheated to a high enough temperature to set a match aflame.

The video also goes on to explain why the copper corrodes so thoroughly.

Kind of cool neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment