April 20, 2020

Household chemicals and a dubious infographic

Source - James Kennedy's blog

I searched James Kennedy's blog for the original source of this graphic, and I can't find it at all.

I searched for bleach and vinegar and household and a whole bunch of other terms that are listed here, but the graphic - still hosted on his site - and its original post is entirely missing from his site. The graphic's host address suggests that it was posted sometime in 2013, and I've been through every on of his 2013 posts (he claims to have read and reviewed 103 books in that year, and I scanned every single one of this review posts, blech).

I'm curious as to why he might've taken the graphic down, and I have an idea.

The graphic is woefully undersourced and possibly dangerous.

To quote the graphic...
This chart summarizes how people in internet forums are using various combinations of household chemicals to make stuff on their own. Sources include YouTube, Yahoo! Answers, and countless niche internet forums. Because all the information was gleaned from the Internet, I cannot accept any responsibility for its accuracy or efficacy.

This table is provided for viewing only. Do not use attempt [sic] any of the household chemistry on this chart. I accept no responsibility for damage incurred as a result of using the information provided in this chart.
Admittedly that's a much easier way to post an infographic: say that it might or might not be correct and claim that nobody can sue you if they get hurt using the information you provided. That seems incredibly irresponsible and foolish coming from someone who claims to be somewhat of an expert in the chemistry field (and whose work I've posted before).

I'm not going to make any claims as to the veracity of the infographic up there. In fact, I'm going to say flatly that I don't trust it because there aren't any sources presented.

Some of the 'answers' - the water line, the bleach/ammonia combo, the bleach/soap combo - are most assuredly correct. Others - the hydrogen peroxide/liquid soap, salt/vinegar, whatever 'washing up liquid' is - are partially but certainly not entirely correct. And others are almost assuredly wrong - rubbing alcohol/cornstarch makes shampoo?

Today's lesson is that just because something is written and presented neatly, it isn't automatically correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment