December 31, 2016

Bunsen Burner (THERMAL IMAGING) - Periodic Table of Videos



I do, admittedly, wish that this video was made with a Tirrill burner because that's what we use in my classroom, but the idea certainly works as though it were a Tirrill burner.

Bunsen burners work about the same, but the Tirrill burner gets a better mixing of the oxygen and methane and has a dial valve at the bottom to adjust the methane coming into the burner. (Admittedly I tell my students not to touch that valve because I've had two incidents where that fell out and caused a large - and thankfully momentary - fireball when the gas came into contact with the air.)

I love the show of the hottest areas of the flame in this video as well as the conductivity of the heat up the glass rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment