September 30, 2024

Water jokes

I promise these will be the last few joke posts for a while. I'll go back to more informative content next week.

See, it's funny because this is the easiest joke for any chemistry teacher or student to make. We build plastic water molecules for lots of purposes. The ones I use in class are magnetic to show the IMFs appropriately. 

At some point, a student spills the water molecules, and I almost automatically tell the other students to be careful, that there's water spilled on the floor.

It's funny the first time, and I keep making the joke year in and year out because it works for the students who are hearing it for the first time.


See, it's funny because 'my water broke' is a phrase that pregnant women use when their amniotic sac ruptures, typically suggesting that labor is beginning.

Here, however, the water breaking doesn't mean that at all; it sets up an expectation and then subverts that expectation. Hence, comedy!


No comments:

Post a Comment