June 14, 2024

Does Anything Radioactive Actually Glow Bright Green?

I was cleaning up my bookmarks this summer and found that I have a whole bunch of backed up videos and articles for my two blogs.

My first step was to post ahead one video or article per week until the end of the calendar year 2024. Now that I've gone ahead and done that and still have a ridiculous number of saved bookmarks.

The next step was to ready a second post per week (Fridays this time to balance the already-ready Mondays), and this is the first of those Friday posts.

There won't be any particularly difference focus of the Friday posts, but you'll just get twice the content from me.

This video explores why most people think that radioactive materials give off a green glow (they don't) through the history of radioactivity's discovery including the radium girls' sad story.

Thankfully the video closes by pointing out that there is actual Cherenkov radiation that causes a light blue glow from radioactive materials in water.

No comments:

Post a Comment