December 20, 2021

How Lava Lamps Are Made | The Making Of

Lava lamps, still relevant today.

So, molten blob of glass blown into bottle shape. Check.

Two questions there...one, we see the workers throw away two bottles in the maybe ten second film clip. That seems a really high failure rate or an incredible fluke. Two, I wonder what kind of glass they're using. I would think soda lime would risk cracking from the uneven heating from the bulbs versus the air.

Metal pieces spun and polished. Check.

If you want to see something about how dislocations allow for that metal spinning, check this out.

Fill 'the liquid' in the bottle along with a metal spring. Check.

So we know one of the liquids is 'colored wax' meaning it had to be nonpolar. I assume that the other liquid is something polar. I get that the family makes sure the trade secret is kept secret, but I desperately want to know if at least I'm correct about the polarities.

Maybe I should just stare at the lava lamp I own for a while to calm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment