April 15, 2019

Accident at Jefferson High



I'd never seen the Accident at Jefferson High video. Flinn Scientific had been selling it for years, and I'd always heard good things about it.

Nowadays, though, it looks really dated.

What follows is my running diary while watching the video for the first time...

(Edit: As of 1/1/24 I reposted a different version of the video as the original disappeared from YouTube. Add about ten seconds to all of the times below to find the same scenes in the updated video.)

1:56 - Weirdly, I would think that the various chemicals should be handled with goggles more than gloves. And saying, "one drop [of nitric acid] could burn a hole through your skin" might be a bit of exaggeration.

2:40 - I wonder how big Jefferson High is, because they have a ton of chemicals.

3:10 - A student has purple smoke pouring from a test tube. I'm curious what it was because I assume they wouldn't use anything actually hazardous to film the video.

3:20 - A student drinks out of a beaker. Remind me sometime to tell you about a student a couple of years behind me in high school chemistry. He drank out of a beaker once...once...

5:30 - Who the heck fills a balloon with acetone and lights it? They seem to let the fire burn a lot longer than seems prudent with styrofoam heads in the fume hood.

6:15 - 'Acids and bases covered..." get it?

7:40 - You know that old phrase, "be alert and proceed with caution," right? Yeah, I hear people say that phrase all the time.

8:00 - We have a spill kit (a smaller version of this) in the room, but I've never thought about putting sodium carbonate solution - or vinegar - at every lab station.

9:50 - What high school lab rooms have compressed air outlets? That's luxurious. Next I'm expecting to hear that they have a vacuum line or a distilled water tap.

11:35 - Great sound effects, folks...props to the foley department

14:00 - Ah, the twist...it was kind of predictable that Bruno knew something all along, but I did not see the twist coming.

15:20 - There's a simple enough true/false quiz. Some of it, admittedly, isn't exactly covered in the video as it's asked in the quiz.

All in all, as hokey as this is, the video does go through a ton of safe lab procedures: properly bending glass and putting it through a rubber stopper, putting out fires, heating test tubes, diluting acids, cleaning up spills, using a fire blanket, store chemicals,

No comments:

Post a Comment